The village of Jenkintown became a borough in 1874, the same year the first Board of Education was organized. There were three teachers: a principal-teacher, a primary teacher, and an assistant to the principal. There were a total of 60 students in the district.
In 1895, there were 310 pupils; in 1904 the first addition to the school was erected (picture shown). There were sixteen teachers in 1919 and twenty-three in 1928.
The present high school was erected in 1923. The present elementary school was erected in 1936. Additions and alterations were made to both buildings as the grew in size and scope of program. The most recent addition to the elementary building was in 1969-1970. A new wing was erected to house two kindergarten rooms, a cafeteria and kitchen, and a music room. In 2006 the “Link” was built and both buildings were completely renovated.
The School District of Jenkintown now serves a student body of about 640 students. It employs a teaching staff of approximately sixty and is administered by a superintendent of schools, a high school principal, an elementary principal, a director of special education/pupil services, a director of technology, and a business administrator .